Cauliflower rice is a great, low-carb, alternative to normal rice. But it can often be a little lacking in flavour.
My quick to cook version adds butter and turns up the heat as colour on cauliflower gives it more flavour and stops the dish being a watery mess.
TOP TIP - get a big frying pan to cook it in and keep it moving on the high heat. I've seen recipes that suggest putting a lid on the pan. DON'T DO THIS! It doesn't allow the water to cook away from the cauliflower and it will leave you with a soggy cauliflower mash instead.
Super Tasty Cauliflower Rice Recipe Video
Low Carb - this is a great low carb alternative to rice and works really well with curries.
- Half a large cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Large knob of butter (as an option)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing this dish is easy. You need about half a cauliflower for two people, or one greedy person!
- Grab a food processor with a grating attachment. if you don't have this, you can use a box grater, it will just take a bit of elbow grease and little more time
- Remove the leaves and most of the stalk from the cauliflower
- Chop the cauliflower in to pieces thin enough to fit into the chute
- Push the pieces into the chute and grate all the cauliflower pieces
- Put a large frying pan on a high heat
- Add the oilive oil and bring up to temperature
- Add the cauliflower to the hot oil, it should sizzle when it hits the pan (if cooking more than half a cauliflower it is best to cook in batches)
- Toss the cauliflower in the oil and season with salt and pepper
- Add the butter to coat all the cauliflower, this gives extra flavour and browns the cauliflower more
- Continue to cook, stiring occasionally
- Cook for about 10 minutes and serve with your favourite dish
Cooking tip - colour equals flavour, so make sure the cauliflower is allowed to sit in the pan and catch a little. Don't keep stirring, but toss the rice every couple of minutes to ensure it is a nice golden colour throughout.